Friday, February 2, 2024

It's Golden

A few days ago, I saw some posts on Facebook talking about how some people are upset about Taylor Swift and the coming Super Bowl.  I'm not going to get into all of that drama, it's just where this moment of my story begins.  I pretty much just rolled my eyes at the whole thing.  Then, made my own quick post about how I'm going to listen to Taylor Swift for the day.  I enjoy her music and it had been a while since she was the soundtrack for a day.  

As my day got going and I was listening to a bunch of her songs, one suddenly stopped me in my tracks.  I did what I usually do whenever this happens and listened to that song several times.  I was very familiar with the song, had heard it many times before, but I realized that it "hit different" now.  The song is called "Daylight" and in it she talks about what she thought love was (cruel, bad, black and white, burning red).  Then she finds a love that she realizes is golden, "like daylight".  Those lyrics are more relatable to me than I can express and they've been on my mind this week.  

That same day, I posted about my morning routine in the studio.  In that post, I talked about the "horse of the day" on the daily horse calendar that I switch over each day.

Well, when I saw yesterday's horse, I said, "ooo, a golden horse".  


Then I remembered it was also time to change over the monthly calendar on the wall.  When I saw the horse for February, I smiled and - thinking about both calendar horses - I said, "It's golden".  


I had decided that I'm going to paint my NaMoPaiMo horse chestnut.  My current favorite reference picture is a chestnut horse that has a very golden looking mane.  Not flaxen, but a lighter tone than the rest of his color.

Each of my NaMoPaiMo horses have a name (except one...) and they are given names usually based on an inspiration that happens during their creation.  Most of them are song titles.  I don't think any of them have been named ahead of time, before painting.  But I'm thinking this guy will have a name related to "Daylight".    



Daylight - Taylor Swift
(a selection of lyrics, basically the last half of the song)

I don't wanna look at anything else now that I saw you
(I can never look away)
I don't wanna think of anything else now that I thought of you
(Things will never be the same)
I've been sleeping so long in a twenty-year dark night
(Now I'm wide awake)
And now I see daylight (daylight)
I only see daylight (daylight)

I only see daylight, daylight, daylight, daylight
I only see daylight, daylight, daylight, daylight

And I can still see it all (In my mind)
All of you, all of me (Intertwined)
I once believed love would be (black and white)
But it's golden (Golden)
And I can still see it all (In my head)
Back and forth from New York (Sneaking in your bed)
I once believed love would be (Burning red)
But it's golden
Like daylight, like daylight
Like daylight, daylight

Like daylight
It's golden, like daylight
You gotta step into the daylight and let it go
Just let it go
Let it go

No comments:

Post a Comment