Thursday, July 23, 2015

I'm Melting!

Or at least it feels like it.

Last week we were in the mid-80's with about 65-70% humidity and I thought I was going to die.  Our house doesn't have a/c and, while I fully realize not having it is a "first world problem", I'm just not used to sitting around feeling hot, sticky, and miserable all day.

Today, we are at about 80 degrees...  with 90% humidity.  I've learned some coping strategies for myself (snacking on frozen fruit, taking cool showers, sitting in front of a fan), but I do have a pretty big concern right now.

I've heard mentions here and there about creative things not being able to be done because it's humid.  Such as mold making, resin casting, painting, pasteling, etc.  Pretty much almost everything I'm interested in doing from a model horse standpoint...  Can I still make tack?  Will epoxy still cure?   Even paper, cardstock, etc., for my paper crafting feels...  soft and damp if it is sitting out.  Can I make things with that?

I'm realizing now that I may be severely limited on what I can actually do while we are here and...  well, it has me pretty bummed out at the moment.  There's got to be a way, I know plenty of people here make things.  I'm wondering if a dehumidifier for my studio would help at all.  Maybe I will just have to work around the weather or only during certain times of the year.  I don't know.

Jeff and I are on the fence about buying a portable a/c unit.  It would be nice to have, but the $400-500 price tag for something we may only use a handful of days out of the year is giving us pause.

Does anyone know of any possible artistic concerns for working in a high humidity environment?

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get around this problem?


No comments:

Post a Comment