The Yabusame competition is a week away (eeek!) and I've got a few craft projects to put together before it gets here:
1: Helmet cover
2: Decorate my arrows
3: Make a thumb chard, or two
I finished number two today, decorating the arrows. I've been practicing with a set of arrows that my friend Angie loaned me, but during a yumi (bow) lesson a few days ago, I learned that they are too short for me. So, I took the plunge and bought my very own set of three arrows!
They come with a plain wooden tip and most everyone decorates them, sometimes they are painted, but many of the ones I've seen are covered in washi paper.
I hadn't ever done anything like this, but figured I'd give it a go. Thinking it'd be fun to document it, I snapped a few pictures along the way.
Here's the plain wooden tip, they put a label with my name on each of the arrows:
I was told I should reinforce the tip with some tape, so I started off by doing that.
Here's the pattern I made, using printer paper:
My idea was to wrap the paper around the tip and then glue down the tabs. (Side note, see the owie on my thumb? Hence my desire for thumb guards. I realized just recently that it appears I'm giving myself "paper cuts" with the fletchings, particularly these new ones which are still crisp and sharp.)
I think it will work!
Here's the real paper, some pretty washi paper I've had for a while. I wanted something to match my riding kimono (which I received yesterday and: It. Is. GORGEOUS - more on it in a future post). The top of it is my favorite rich blue color, which oddly I don't have in my paper stash... but the bottom is shades of white, pink and purple, so I went that route:
The "spine" and first side glued down:
Time to cut the tabs on the other side. I was going to cut all of the tabs before putting them on, but then decided it'd be easier to cut them where I wanted them on the actual tip.
All glued down!
Here are all three of them. My paper wasn't quite long enough to cover the whole tip.
So I went back and added some strips around the top. I also put a strip of pretty washi tape around the start of the shaft.
I think they are ready to go!
As for the thumb guard, I think I might actually try and wear my cycling, fingerless, gloves. My last lesson, at the club, is tomorrow, I'm going to be experimenting with a lot of new stuff: arrows and gloves. If they don't work I'm going to make a leather or synthetic leather cover for one or both of my thumbs.
The helmet cover comes next! I was given the extra fabric from the two kimonos that were combined into one for my riding kimono, so can make the cover to match. I'm far from a seamstress; I think the most sewing I've done has been on model horse blankets. Ha! But I'm sure I'll figure something out.