Sunday, October 23, 2022

My Animals

A suggestion was made that I write about my animals, which I don't think I had done in a while - even before my latest blog hiatus.  So, here they are!

First up is Bo, he is a 2001 APHA stallion.  He's solid black, "a Paint that ain't" and is, by far, the best horse I've ever had or worked with.  I first saw him and agreed to buy him when he was only 1 month old.  We've been together for a long time and have had many, many adventures together.


Next is Tealight, my kitty.  I adopted her from a shelter in South Dakota about 12 years ago, when she was about 2 years old.  She went with me to Japan and back.  She's a little world traveling former street cat.  She is very sweet, super soft, and always knows when I'm upset.  One of her nicknames is "Empathy Cat".  


Then there's Jabba.  He is a tiger salamander I've had for probably 13 years and I estimate he was 2-3 years old (or older?) when I got him.  I joke that he is the world's oldest salamander.  He got his name because when I first got him I was overfeeding him and he became quite..  Jabba-like.  He is a super cool, chill little dude.


The most recent addition to my menagerie are my chickens.  I have a bunch of them.  I had way more, but split up my flock when I sold my farm in North Dakota and moved to Minnesota.  Here's a quick look at where most of them are right now, in my back yard.


Most of my chickens are rare or unusual breeds, here is my group of French Black Copper Marans, hanging out in the yard.  Everyone mostly stays penned up here, because this place is on a very busy highway.  Also there are a lot more predator concerns here.


One of my favorite breeds are the Polish, with their silly hairdos.  Here's a recent conversation at the water cooler once morning.


Here are the most recent additions to my flock.  I ordered a bunch of rare breed chicks from a breeder and they arrived just a few days ago.  Baby chicks are one of the cutest things ever.  I'm very excited about these wee poof balls.  


While not my pets, I have absolutely loved how much wildlife there is here in my new home (even if that means more predator concerns for the chickens).  One thing I've seen a TON of, right here in my yard, are frogs and toads, many of them very little.  This is probably the smallest and cutest one I had found.


I hope you enjoyed meeting my little zoo!

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of coops! Do the chickens sort themselves by type or do you have to help out? Or do they just change coops at random after an outing? Bo looks great. Is he living with you or at a nearby stable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the chickens are staying in the little coops, for now. I'm building some larger coops now that will have runs attached. I miss being able to let them free range, like they did in ND, but here I live right on a busy highway and there are far more predators to worry about. Sometimes I let a group of them out for free time when I can be around to keep an eye on them.

      Bo is right here in the yard! I can see him from the house, which is wonderful.

      Delete