Sunday, October 8, 2023

Missed The Horses For The... Horses

On the way back from my recent trip to the Tetons, I stopped at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, in North Dakota.  I'd been wanting to visit there for years now for one reason: wild horses.

I was tired and still had another 7 hours to drive to get back home, but I figured I'd take a drive through at least some of the park and see if I could find any horses.  It ended up that I spotted four herds and stopped to take pictures of three of them.  The second was just after the first.  I wanted to cover some miles and see what else I could see, so I passed them by.  I also took pictures of prairie dogs and bison.

A couple of days ago, I took a quick look through some of the pictures from the whole trip and I'd like to share some of them eventually, but in the meantime, I had to share this.

The first herd I saw was this group of greys and roans with a pretty flaxen chestnut.


When I was finally leaving the park, almost 4 hours later, I saw them again.  They were on the other side of the road, back behind some trees.  I found a spot where I could grab a few pictures out of my driver's side door, between trees.  


Traffic was coming, there was nowhere to park right there, so I snapped a few more quick pictures, and got going...

...

When I was scanning through these pictures just a couple of days ago, I was SHOCKED to see more horses on the ridge behind them.



What?

What??

Where did those horses come from?!  

I never saw them!

There was a foal with them!

What?!

I was so focused on getting a few more pictures and getting out of there, before I created a traffic jam, that I never even saw the horses in the background.

So I guess there were actually five herds that I came across, but I only knew about four of them.  I was pretty bummed that I missed noticing them, especially that baby.  However, there would have been no way to get closer for any better pictures - unless I had hiked off the road - and I needed to get going to make it home.

So, yeah, I missed the horses for the horses.  

Ha!
  
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you managed to visit Theodore Roosevelt N.P. My husband and I almost despair of doing that. Every time we try, something terrible happens. The last time, Covid happened. Allow yourself some praise. // Besides, it's very hard to see far horizons when you're focused on close ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete