Friday, June 14, 2024

Flatter Footing

I have this really cool piece of scale model footing that I really like using for stablemate pictures.  In particular, I use it to take pictures of stablemate blankets that are for sale.  


The problem with it, and something I fight with every single time I use it, is that it's very uneven.  It was sort of rolled/folded in a box when I bought it.  It's stiff enough that it retains some of the folds.  Because of the tufts of grass, I haven't wanted to try and press it to make it flatten out.  

Recently, I was struggling to make it work (and I just gave up during that particular photo session, the horses kept falling over) and I thought of a possible solution. 

Today I got to work on it!

First, I measured it (10" x 10") and then I used the laser to cut out a piece of MDF that size.  

Here's lumpy, bumpy piece as I've been trying to use it. 


I wasn't 100% sure how I was going to glue it to the base, but I decided to start with some tacky glue down the center.


I grabbed a small piece of cardboard, thinking I'd use it as a spreader, but I just ended up using my finger, haha.  


Glue spread out, I centered the piece of footing and carefully pressed in down along the middle.  I noticed I was slightly off center and tried to reposition it.  Nope.  It was instantly stuck.  Well, that's good!  


Then I decided to just work my way toward the edge, from the center, and glue it down in sections.  Here you can better see how uneven it was.


Each time I put on some tacky glue,


and spread it with my finger.


I cleaned off my finger then used my finger tips to press down and toward the outer edge, along the shorter grass paths.  I also pushed down in some of the tufted areas, for good measure, and then sort of fluffed the grass up again.  

One side mostly glued, I hadn't done the very edge here yet.  I think it's looking flatter.


All done!  That looks better...


Moment of truth!  I put it back in my photo area, turned on the lights, and plopped down a horse (the very one who kept falling over during the latest photo shoot that was cut short).  He stands!  



1 comment:

  1. Great story! well told. (I'm using the same kind of glue, hah!) Where did you get this footing in the first place?

    ReplyDelete