Monday, March 12, 2012

New Old Project Unearthed

During my all day cleaning and organizing marathon a couple of days ago, I unearthed a new, old project.

Years ago I had bought a bunch of materials to craft stall signs for my horses.  Each would start off with a basic wooden plaque and I'd add a wooden horse cut out (painted to match the horse), along with painted wooden letters spelling out the horse's name, and finally some sort of extra embellishment such as horseshoes, or stars, etc.

Well, all of the wood projects have been packed away and pretty much buried for a while.  I was pretty excited when I opened the tote and began pulling everything out. 

I've now gotten back to work on the project and since I have two horses now, instead of seven, I foresee that they might actually be completed!  (haha)

Here is a quick picture taken this morning of the, in progress, sign for Bo:





I decided to try a bit of dry brushing with some metallic copper acrylic paint to see how that looked. I'm not 100% sold on the look, but I do like it.   It turned out to have a bit of a textured look. I think I'm going to try using a sponge to do the background on another plaque, then compare to see which I like best. 

The little horse I had painted for Bo was in rough shape, so I did some sanding and I'll repaint it, complete with his white markings. 

I still need to paint the edges, attach the horse, name, and decide on some extras..  then go out and hang it on his stall!  I have a plaque for Leah, my other horse, too, but hers hadn't been started at all.  I think I'll go with a copper background on both of them, for continuity.  Leah is a grey horse, pretty much white now, so I'm thinking the black and white should look good on copper. 

--------------------

In other news, I've been on fire so far today doing some research about various marketing techniques - such as copy writing, SEO, photography, social networking, and so on.  There is so much to learn and it seems things change faster than I can keep up with them.  Though I do find it fun to read about these things and then play around with implementing some of what I've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment