Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Stop. Leather Time.

Today, I finally did it.  I started working with leather. 

The very first thing I did was play around with the mechanical pencil hole punches.  No, the holes aren't straight, I just wanted to see what the holes would look like.  They are awesome!


Then I started skiving (thinning) some leather lace.  I was using this tutorial on preparing lace.  For a while now, I've been afraid of trying this, but...  it was fun!


(for fun I had to do my own little comparison picture of original lace versus skived lace)


I broke off a few pieces while trying to thin the lace, but I went ahead and prepped these pieces too.  (and ended up using most of them)


Here's what I ended up with:


Time to start building a halter!


But then...  this happened:


I had a pile of overripe bananas that desperately needed to become banana bread.  So I took a Studio break and did a high speed baking marathon.

Twelve, twelve loaves of banana bread!  Ah-ah-ah...


Okay, bread in the oven, back to the Studio.

Assembling this halter went much faster than the first, because I had that first halter to use as a template as far as sizing.


 This buckle worked better than the first too, with the help of the new, tiny round nose pliers.


Getting closer, here's where I used some of the pieces that were broken off during skiving.


And this is about where I stopped. 


I had trouble doing the rolled throatlatch, then Jeff came home from work, so I called it quits for the day.  I'm planning to try again tomorrow on the throatlatch and if I can't get it right, I might skip that step for this one.  I'm wanting to be really brave and try to start on a bridle!

It was a fun day and I'm planning another one tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, that means a lot! :D Of course, it wouldn't have been possible without your tutorial on preparing lace - thank you for that! :D

      Delete
  2. You should bring that banana bread to my house! My family just ate two whole loafs of it in a day and a half! Haha, we could get that all taken care of pretty quickly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live, I'll bring it over - ha! I did make it all to give away. I meant to around Christmas, but... I'm running late. ;) My husband and I have already eaten two of them. I need to hurry up and give it all away before WE eat it all!

      Delete