Today, I finally did it. I started working with leather.
The very first thing I did was play around with the mechanical pencil hole punches. No, the holes aren't straight, I just wanted to see what the holes would look like. They are awesome!
Then I started skiving (thinning) some leather lace. I was using this tutorial on preparing lace. For a while now, I've been afraid of trying this, but... it was fun!
(for fun I had to do my own little comparison picture of original lace versus skived lace)
I broke off a few pieces while trying to thin the lace, but I went ahead and prepped these pieces too. (and ended up using most of them)
Here's what I ended up with:
Time to start building a halter!
But then... this happened:
I had a pile of overripe bananas that desperately needed to become banana bread. So I took a Studio break and did a high speed baking marathon.
Twelve, twelve loaves of banana bread! Ah-ah-ah...
Okay, bread in the oven, back to the Studio.
Assembling this halter went much faster than the first, because I had that first halter to use as a template as far as sizing.
This buckle worked better than the first too, with the help of the new, tiny round nose pliers.
Getting closer, here's where I used some of the pieces that were broken off during skiving.
And this is about where I stopped.
I had trouble doing the rolled throatlatch, then Jeff came home from work, so I called it quits for the day. I'm planning to try again tomorrow on the throatlatch and if I can't get it right, I might skip that step for this one. I'm wanting to be really brave and try to start on a bridle!
It was a fun day and I'm planning another one tomorrow.